Now a new way to find a lawyer is possible with the help of The New York State Bar Association’s trusted Lawyer Referral and Information Service (LRIS) through the online portal at https://nysbalris.legal.io. This site is available 24/7 and it is a confidential service. In addition, people can also get this service over the phone by calling 1-800-342-3661 during regular business hours. People can be sure that they will be matched with a local lawyer with credentials reviewed by New York State Bar Association.
This is how it works:
- A person looking for a lawyer can visit the website (https://nysbalris.legal.io) and fill out a confidential questionnaire stating their location and legal issue.
- The State Bar staff will match the person seeking a lawyer with one that matches the need and is in or near the region of the request.
- If the person seeking legal assistance lives in either of the 17 counties with a local lawyer referral service, the request is forwarded to the appropriate county bar association.
- The referral service is free. A person who decides to talk to a lawyer will be charged $35 for the first 30-minute meeting covering the consultation information unless the subject of inquiry is about medical malpractice, personal injury, social security, unemployment, veterans and military law or worker’s compensation.
- There is no obligation to move forward after the first consultation, but more fees will be established if the client decides to move forward with the lawyer’s services.
Jeremy L. Goldstein a New York lawyer and is the leading partner the boutique law firm, Jeremy L. Goldstein & Associates LLC. Before starting his law firm, Mr. Goldstein worked at Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz.
Jeremy L. Goldstein often writes and speaks about corporate governance and executive compensation cases. He is on the list of the leading executive compensation lawyers in The Legal 500 and in the Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. Jeremy L. Goldstein is an accomplished lawyer and holds a J.D., an M.S. from the University of Chicago and a B.A. cum laude and with distinction in all subjects from 3 different U.S. Universities.
Follow Jeremy Goldstein on twitter.